Monday 26 August 2013

Simple Banana Pancakes

-->
How many times have you been told ‘breakfast is the most important meal of the day’? All healthy eating websites state that you should never skip breakfast, yet it is statistically the most – skipped meal of the day, so here’s a recipe to make you WANT to eat breakfast. It feels like a huge treat….but it is so incredibly healthy and will fill you up for ages!



When I was first diagnosed with coeliac disease I found breakfast the most difficult meal to find a gluten-free option. Before diagnosis I ate oats and a chopped banana with some honey every morning…not too gluten packed…however, my dietician has told me to stay off oats for a year as they contain a very similar protein to wheat, barley and rye. This meant that almost all cereal was a no go and gluten-free toast was not great.





I wanted a high protein breakfast that wasn’t packed full of unnatural ingredients (which is what I found a lot of gluten-free cereals contain). I came across a recipe for banana pancakes which only contained 2 ingredients…eggs and a banana. I tried them out and I LOVED them. They filled me up for a fair amount of time but I knew they needed improving. I have altered the recipe by adding xanthan gum…almost calorie free and incredibly high in fiber. It thickens the mixture very quickly so only a tiny little bit is needed, but my goodness does it fill you up! I also add a little bit of cinnamon which goes really well with the banana. It is the best spice for anti-oxidant properties…in fact it is better than all fruits and vegetables for anti-oxidants!



These pancakes can be eaten as a savory breakfast with bacon or sausages but can also be eaten with berries, tinned peaches…or my favorite option…agave gum, lemon juices and some blackberries! 




Ingredients:



2 eggs

1 banana

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp xanthan gum






Method:



Mash a banana up in a jug until smooth

Add 2 eggs and the xanthan gum and cinnamon

Whisk until the mixture is slightly bubbly

Put 1 tsp olive oil into a frying pan on medium heat

Pour mixture into the pan and fry until the egg is no longer runny- approximately 2  minutes

Quarter the pancake and flip each quarter

Fry for a further 30 seconds to brown this side off

Serve





You can make a weeks batch in one go and simply microwave in the morning, they will last 5 days in the fridge. They only take a few minutes…so make sure you start your day with something that makes you happy, makes you feel good and fills you up!






No comments:

Post a Comment