Wednesday 8 January 2014

Gluten is my Bitch

-->
I am having a bad gluten day today. A bad gluten day – for me – doesn’t mean I have eaten gluten and become horrifically ill. It is more a day of wallowing in self-pity – which I think is allowed occasionally seeing as all coeliacs can no longer enjoy cheep bread, a dunkin donut or eat out without experiencing some serious stress! Today it was spurred on by the fact that because I live in a gluten eating household so I use toaster bags to make my toast in the mornings. This morning they failed me. Instead of making toast I ended up with some soggy stale bread which I only ate because I had nothing else in the house that would have constituted a decent breakfast. It was stale soggy bread or nothing.  



Sometimes these bad gluten days just happen out of the blue – when you just want to be normal again and your sick of feeling like the odd one out and sick of being so careful all the time!



But there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Something that has completely cheered me up today – the book by April Peveteaux – Gluten is my Bitch.



I have been reading this all week and it is truly brilliant. Although it has caused me some embarrassment – laughing to myself on the bus to work – and also reading a book with ‘BITCH’ in huge letters on the bus whilst surrounded by children on the way to school – the book is brilliant.



I recommend any coeliac going and buying it NOW! It is hysterical. It also makes you feel less alone – someone else is experiencing the EXACT same problems, and has found ways to help you over come them! What more could you want? Peveteaux describes her situation – the anger, the annoyance of it all and missing those delicious foods that you can not longer have. She also shows you that it is ok to be angry every now and again, it is going to happen!  However, she also offers a huge amount of advice and every time I pick up the book I learn something new! (And usually fine a mistake I have been making for the past year!). It is a book filled with advice, hysterical stories and recipes and has really made my day a great deal better.



The book is such an easy read, Peveteaux writes almost how someone would talk, causal, funny and yet informative. It is light hearted, yet attacks the real serious hurdles you come across being a coeliac. The book is excellently written, and so good that members of my family have sat down and read it all in a day!



So for any coeliacs in need of a pick me up – instead of reaching for the gluten-free chocolate bar or just sitting around for a day wallowing in self pity, pick up this book! It will really cheer you up – and make you laugh to yourself in public. 

You can buy Gluten is my Bitch at a really reasonable price on amazon...as its not one of those commonly stocked books in library (unfortunately!) 

Here is the link just in case any of you fancied looking! : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CPZNL6S/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B00CPZNL6S&linkCode=as2&tag=thegincoe-21

No comments:

Post a Comment