Saturday 22 June 2013

Bettys Gluten-Free Chocolate and Raspberry Torte Review

-->
Last week was my 20th birthday and all my friends from home came up to visit me in York. As most of them hadn’t been to York before they all wanted to go and visit Bettys Tearooms. My automatic reaction was one of fear…a whole café based on very very delicious…gluten filled… cake! I knew I would probably end up sitting there with a green tea, watching my friends eat some of the most delicious cake you can buy and get jealous. When we turned up to the Bettys on Stonegate I asked straight away if they had any gluten-free options, and to my surprise…they did!!

This made my day; I had never been to Bettys before I was diagnosed so I thought I had missed out! But oh no, one of the most delicious looking cakes on the menu was gluten free! The Swiss Chocolate and Raspberry Torte.

The cake itself was made out of crushed almonds with caramelised raspberries and chocolate. The cake was moist, luxurious and rich. It was simply delicious! Not only was it gluten free, but being made of almonds it was naturally better for you than most cakes.

Almonds are naturally high in vitamin E, which prevent cell damage from free radicals and help prevent prostate cancer, bladder cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Another handy little thing vitamin E does is help maintain healthy skin, and some studies have shown it can prevent UV rays from damaging the skin. Although it is still a cake at the end of the day, it was a better option than having a non-gluten free cake with the basis of a sponge being flour. Almonds are high in protein therefore more filling…and don’t forget they are yummy!!

I was so happy that I didn’t have to sit there without joining in on such a massive treat, and its something that isn’t absolutely terrible for you.

Bettys is not a no go zone for coeliac, in fact….if you ever visit York and fancy a treat, Bettys is definitely worth going to!

No comments:

Post a Comment