Sunday 4 December 2016

Easy mushroom risotto

This week I went vegetarian. The only reason for this was to try and get more vegetables in my diet. I tend to have at least 7 fruit and vegetables a day, but I thought I could probably try and get more in. Risotto is a staple in my house – it really hits the spot if you want a comforting, carby and luxurious dinner. When the dark nights come in, I tend to want more carby, heavy meals in the evening (doesn’t everyone?!). I usually make a chicken risotto or a salmon risotto…but this week, as it’s veggie week, I thought I would try a mushroom risotto.



I have to say the veggie week was a huge success! I felt healthier by the end of the week and it got me trying new recipes. It also made me realise how difficult it is to buy gluten free, vegetarian food in the shops at lunch time! Almost very gluten free on the go food seemed to contain chicken, fish or turkey (with the Christmas sandwiches hitting the shops!). So to all of those vegetarian coeliacs out there…I have sympathy….it’s even more difficult!

Anyway, next week I am going to go veggie Monday – Thursday as it made me feel so good. This is the first of many gluten free vegetarian recipes….

Prep : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes

Ingredients:

300g chestnut mushrooms
300g button mushrooms
60g parmesan
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tbsp butter
4 cloves of garlic
1 onion
handful of flat leaf parsley
150ml white wine
350g risotto rice
500ml boiling water
Rocket (to serve)


Method:
1.     Chop the onion and garlic, add to pan and lightly fry in butter on a medium heat
2.     Chop all the mushrooms and parsley, ready to add to the risotto later
3.     Add the risotto rice to the pan and stir – you’ll need to cook the risotto rice for approximately 5 minutes – be careful not to let any pieces of rice turn brown
4.     Add the boiling water ladle at a time. Only add another ladle full once all liquid has been absorbed in the pan. Keep stirring and while the water is absorbing, add the stock cube, half the parmesan and half the mushrooms. (this process takes about 20 minutes)
5.     Once all of the water has been absorbed, add the white wine, the rest of the mushrooms, parmesan and the parsley
6.     Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes

7.     Serve with some fresh chopped parsley and rocket!

No comments:

Post a Comment