Sunday 27 October 2013

Blueberry Teff Muffins

 So I have had my first gluten free prescription this month. I haven’t had one previously because I ordered some free samples and it took me a while to get through it all! This time I decided to order some red teff flour…something I haven’t tried before. 
 
Now, I would love to tell you all about the health benefits of teff flour but unfortunately there is very little information about it online! What I can tell you is that it is an ancient grain, mostly used in Ethiopia. It is higher in protein than wheat and has a high concentration of calcium and iron. Teff is also incredibly high in fiber and low GI so perfect for those with diabetes. 


I have tried numerous recipes of gluten free muffins, these are by far the best. The teff flour seems to have a slight taste of nutmeg and cinnamon, which works really nicely in a muffin.

These are easy to make, quick, simple and so tasty so give them a go! 



 



Ingredients:

½ cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

½ cup milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 ½ cups teff flour

1 ½ cups gluten free self raising flout

1 ½ cups blueberries


Method:


1.     Pre heat the oven to 180 oc

2.     Simply add all the ingredients
(apart from the blueberries) into the bowl and use an electronic mixer on a medium speed for about 2 minutes

3.    Fold the blueberries into the mixture

4.    Fill 8 muffin cases

5.    Bake for 25 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment