Saturday 7 September 2013

Delta Airline Food


Most airlines should do gluten – free meals, as long as you order them in advance. When we booked our flights there was no gluten–free option which was worrying. We called Delta and they assured us that a gluten-free meal was ordered for my boyfriend and I. On arrival to the gate at Manchester Airport I went to check with the lady at the desk whether my gluten-free meal was on board. I was told that no special meal was ordered and there was no way I could get one on board before take off.

I was angry as this is not a case of being a vegetarian (a lifestyle choice) this is a medical necessity! The lady at the gate seemed unwilling to search for a solution to the problem. I was told to buy food from the terminal; unfortunately there was no decent food in the terminal that was gluten-free (basically crisps, chocolate and milkshake). I got ever more frustrated at the situation and unfortunately the check in desk lady had a very matter of fact attitude which made the whole situation worse. Luckily Delta’s representative came to the desk – I believe his name was Paul. Paul helped me with the situation – he spoke to the head air hostess and told me that he could guarantee that I would get gluten-free food on board – whether it meant the airhostesses giving up some of their food, a first class meal or if it was simply using a lot of fruit, cheese and meat.

I cannot thank Paul enough! His customer service was above and beyond. He came onboard with me, made sure that I was calm about the situation and made sure that the airhostesses knew that this was not just gluten-restricted, but I needed gluten-free.

 I have never had such amazing plane food in all of my life. My lunch consisted of smoked salmon, potato salad with dill, tartare sauce, sliced steak and tomato. This was a meal from the first class menu, 100% gluten free and it was AMAZING. For dinner I had a cheese platter with fruit – this included blue cheese and two white cheeses with strawberries and grapes. For pudding I was given a choice of green or red apple and vanilla ice cream with a chocolate swirl.

My experience of Delta airlines gluten-free food was one that started badly; a gluten-free meal had been ordered, I had been assured of this over the phone and on the day of the flight this was not available. However, I understand that when the time of the flight changes and seats change, it is difficult to keep track of who ordered what. Once the Delta representative came out the problem was solved. Customer service was first class and I received perfect gluten-free food.

If you are ever concerned about being a gluten-free traveler – don’t be. From my experience with Delta, flying with nutritional requirements is not difficult at all. There may be a few hurdles occasionally – but you will receive great food and fantastic customer service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment