Saturday 7 September 2013

Dutch Valley – Our Breakfast Tradition


I have been to this part of Florida for a few years now. Every time we come we have a tradition of going to the local diner for breakfast on the first morning. The local diner – Dutch Valley – serves the most delicious breakfast and the biggest, creamiest pies I have ever known!!
 

I have not been to the USA since being diagnosed with coelic disease so I didn’t know what to expect. I was a little worried that I would have to miss out on this family tradition that has become almost religious. I knew that I would have to miss out on the biscuit – a fluffy scone that is grilled and then drenched in maple syrup – but I wasn’t too sure what else I would miss out on.


I usually order a skillet which is basically home fries, 2 eggs (however you like them), lots of cheese and 2 fillings  (bacon, ham, broccoli, onion, mushroom...pretty much anything you like!). I assumed that none of this stuff would have gluten in it and I was correct! The best bit was that there was a separate gluten free menu! Not only did I get my skillet I also got a replacement for the biscuit – gluten free raisin and cinnamon toast – thank goodness! Something I could drench in maple syrup!!

The reason I am blogging about this is that it came as a shock to me that a little, independent, local diner had such a brilliant gluten free menu. This is something that I wouldn’t expect in the UK, usually it’s only the larger chains that know how to cook gluten free food – even some chains such as Pizza Express have only had a gluten free menu for about 6 months. I would hope to see more smaller, independent restaurants providing a gluten free menu. Knowing that my favourite restaurant has a gluten free menu has made my holiday! I know that traveling with coeliac disease is hard – but the USA seems to be the opposite, it has so far been incredibly easy to be a gluten free holiday maker!

No comments:

Post a Comment