Sunday 28 July 2013

Coconut Macaroons

-->
When I first got diagnosed with coeliac disease Coconut macaroons were a godsend! It was the only gluten-free sweet treat the local co-op sold, so for those nights when all of my housemates were indulging with a cherry pie, I had a go-to sweet treat!

The only issue is, they were extremely high in calorie! I know it’s a bit obvious – as they’re supposed to be a treat, but I knew that they could be made a little less unhealthy! Its just under 400 per macaroon. So I set myself a mission to make one lower in calorie. I have succeeded! But unfortunately I managed to decrease the total calories per macaroon by only100 calories per macaroon…I was hoping for much more!
The good news is, they taste better than the ones you can buy and it takes next to no effort to make!

Serves: 10-14
Calories: Approximately 250 per macaroon
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients: 2 eggs
                       8 Oz desiccated unsweetened coconut
                       3.5 Oz sugar with ½ cup sweetener
                        1.5 tbsp. powdered almonds

Directions:
Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees (if it is fan assisted). Whisk the eggs up to the consistency that you would make an omelet…so just make sure its pretty light, but not too bubbly!
Stir in the coconut and add the sugar, sweetener and almonds.
Leave to stand for 20 minutes (I usually leave it for longer because I go to the shops or do some work. It just means you can make them in advance really!). This is an important step because it is what will make your macaroons nice and squidgy in the middle...and moist rather than dry!
Take an ice cream scoop and scoop small dollops onto a baking tray with greaseproof paper on it.
Make for 30 minutes.
Cool completely.
If you’re feeling cheeky melt some dark chocolate and drizzle over the macaroons once they have cooled. Adds a touch of luxury!

Go ahead and make one of these delicious sweet treats! For 100 less calories than you will find in a store!

Happy baking! :)
Photo attribution to Mike Richardson 

No comments:

Post a Comment